Thursday, May 17, 2007

Rich's Recent Reads

I am finishing in the car a new Karen Armstrong bio of Muhammed, that while not exciting is telling! It's a four star, based on information and the quality of the writing.
I also just completed a too short memoir of Calvin Trillon's wife called About Alice, read by the author. It's a four star read because I knew so little, and to his family and freinds she meant a lot! She nearly always appeared in his New Yorker pieces over the last 35 years or so, and in his books about eating and living.
In a hard copy text, I slowly made my way through this year's Newbery, Higher Power of Lucky, which I read slowly because I like Lucky, her friends and step-mother so much!
Last, I am reading a new Y title by Cynthia Rylant called Ludie's LIfe, circa 1910 same lonesome Appalachia territory as many of her Y titles. All in verse, and reads easily. Thumbs up to Ludie for sharing her story, and in the opening page, she reveals (about children)
"all in all,
six were too many
and one
would have been just fine!"
Gotta go! Rich