
I hesitate to review this title because, as I revel in the completion of it, I feel that I am not enough of a writer to do Wroblewski justice in writing a critique. So, bear with me as I try to translate the beauty of this book.
Last week, Jean suggested that I read the review of The Story of Edgar Sawtelle in the Post's Bookworld. I had already read Bookworld but went back to take in the review that I had skipped. It was a glowing review that had also garnered the front cover, so you could sense that this must be the "next big thing." And indeed it is.
While the story centers on a farm where a unique breed of dogs has been lovingly raised by the Sawtelle family for three generations, this is not merely another dog novel. This is the story of a mute boy named Edgar and the bond he has formed with his family members, including a few select Sawtelle dogs. When his uncle moves back to the farm, Edgar's life is thrown out of balance, a tragedy befalls his father, and in trying to come to terms with these changes, he finds that his dogs are his true family- the ones that understand him and are loyal to him even when he has trouble communicating. The reader is taken on a journey- through the state of Wisconsin as well as through the maturation of Edgar Sawtelle and his dogs. This truly is THE story of Edgar Sawtelle. Edgar's heart is the heart of the story.
David Wroblewski's prose is astounding, there were many points when I read a sentence again to marvel at his word choice (“One evening, as Edgar was crossing the lawn, in that dialated moment after sunset when the sky holds all the light..."). It has been a long time since I felt so compelled to find out what happened in the next chapter, even up to the end which I found more surprising with each sentence.
This book is long, I admit that, but its summertime right?
I WANT YOU TO READ THIS BOOK. Then tell me what you think, ok?