For as long as I can remember, I've had nothing in my heart but love for Julie Andrews. Seriously, no exaggeration. I've seen The Sound of Music more times than I can count. Mary Poppins is my very favorite Disney movie (Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, British accents and sidewalk chalk drawings? I mean COME ON!). I could go on and on about my love for her, despite the fact that Audrey Hepburn (a far second place) got to play Eliza in My Fair Lady. And now I know the story behind the My Fair Lady story and so many others.Home, begins with Julia's birth and includes brief character sketches on the grandparents (great and otherwise) that she can recall. She tells the story so beautifully of her journey from a lower class household in rural England all the way to starring on Broadway. Julia experienced so many situations that made her doubt her talent and even her worth as a person, but she was able to persevere through those times and prove herself to everyone. She was also the primary support (emotionally, financially and otherwise) for her brothers and sisters and eventually her parents and step-parents from the time she was the age of 10.
This book was compelling and for the most part, well written. She made me care about her story and that of her family. I was disappointed when I came to the end that, as the title suggests, the story only extends into her late 20's. The stage is set for a second volume and I look forward to learning more about this talented woman.